Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The love of family

Where do most people stand on step families ?
The majority of people I know feel they would be better off without a step family .
I had seen horrible step families , I had seen movies like Cinderella and just figured if they’re not blood family , they won’t love you the same . I had this idea etched into my brain for years . 
In 2004 , my father told me he was getting married and he wanted me to meet his fiancé and her kids . The day I met them I was practically in love . ♥♥♥ We played for hours , talked , and ran around the apartment . Rachel , my soon to be step mom , had four kids when I met her . A teenager , a pre-teen , an elementary grade kid , and a toddler . When I met them , I had no idea how much they would mean to me later on in life .
In 2005 , my dad rented a 4 bed room house for them to all live in . He then wanted weekend visitation , so in the beginning I spent every other weekend there , then after some time , it was every weekend .
 It didn't take long for my siblings and I to start fighting like cats and dogs , especially me and the second oldest girl , Lielani . However , the oldest , Ashley , and I weren't exactly seeing eye to eye either . See , my parents would leave Ashley in charge a lot , which considering she was only 14 , it was hard to accept that 4 children should be under her control . My siblings got out of control while my sister was babysitting , and they would give her the worst time about everything , me included , until one day I realized just how much stress she must be under having to hold down the fort .
One day we got into a big tiff after which we made a pact to never blow up on each other again , to always respectfully pull each other aside and talk out or differences , and since that day we have only had two or three fights .
My older brother , Tyler , was at the only boy at the time , which had to be hard having 3 half-sisters and a now a step sister . We still don't always see eye to eye , but when we were younger we used to play Game Cube for hours .
My baby sister , Mystie , was always like Ashley's mini me , which in a way makes her a lot like me , cause Ashley and I are a lot alike . Mystie was a very clingy child , she loved to hang on my legs and get piggy back rides , the whole nine .
On February 4th of 2006 , my baby brother Kelric was born . He was 10lbs and 10onces , and definitely a C-section .
On June 21st of 2006 , my father and his bride to be got married in a beautiful outdoor setting . Mystie and I were supposed to be flower girls  , but our flower petals were left at home ..
Four years later , due to dramatic legal reasons , my dad and Rachel were force into separation and eventually divorce , and I honestly thought that would be then end of my relationship with this family . Oh boy , was I wrong ! 
In November of 2009 , I moved in with my former step mom , my three oldest siblings , and my baby brother , along with my older sisters fiancé . My mom and I were having troubles finding a living situation , so Rachel was kind enough to let me stay there .
During my stay , my older sister and her fiancé had their first baby girl , my first born niece
After I moved out , my second oldest sister popped up pregnant , on June 18th of 2011 , my second beautiful niece was born .
And just this Monday , Ashley gave birth to her second baby girl .
My step family is my life , even though they technically aren't family anymore , they are family in my heart . I have gained so much from my 8 1/2 years with this family .
My siblings and I are still super close and my nieces are my whole world <3
I guess the moral to this story is , never judge you outcome , by another person’s situation . Remember to approach everything with an open minded , and even if something happens to the marriage , don't let it ruin your new relationships .
-Elle

No comments:

Post a Comment